BASIC works to address these challenges by building confidence in a shared, sustainable security agenda. We work in both nuclear weapon and non-nuclear weapon states, with a specific expert focus on the UK, US, Europe and the Middle East.
Through open-minded, diverse engagement, we seek to test traditional concepts of the role and value of nuclear weapons and nuclear deterrence as a security safeguard, and to consider the collective security interests of non-proliferation and disarmament.
BASIC is a small think tank taking a uniquely non-partisan, dialogue-based and inclusive approach. We look for ways to build constructive engagement between individuals from different geographical, political or cultural backgrounds on traditionally sensitive or complex issues. And we create space for new and diverse perspectives.
We test assumptions and look behind national and political postures to better understand the motivations behind them, looking for commonalities rather than differences.
We make every effort to ensure that our engagement complements, but does not duplicate, the work of policy-makers, think-tanks, research organizations and advocacy groups.
Where BASIC seeks to make an impact:
1. Identifying opportunities for all states to take credible, stabilizing steps towards sustainable nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation
2. Seeking commonalities across geographical and political divides to build confidence in the security benefits of a non-nuclear weapons approach
3. Overcoming obstacles which hinder progress on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, by exploring and challenging traditional traps and assumptions
WHAT WE BRING:
• Commitment to a cooperative disarmament agenda
• A diverse and extensive contact network in the UK, US, Europe and the Middle East
• A trusted reputation for non-partisan, sensitive engagement with a purpose
• An emphasis on understanding perspectives
• Innovative policy approaches
• An intelligent, reasoned and constructive approach to problem-solving
• An ability to interpret and distill perspectives into useable information
• Strong research and analytical skills
• A small, committed and adaptable team, with operations in the UK and US